Thursday, October 1, 2009

My first two months in Malta

To introduce myself: My name is Teresa and I am 20 years old. I am from Germany, Saxony. I came to Malta on the 1st August with four another classmates for our internship that I was going to do at inlingua School of Languages until the mid of December – I know, it’s a long time!

Well, let me tell something about my first impressions of Malta and inlingua during the two months that I’ve spent so far on the island...Back to Germany at Munich airport - We were waiting for our flight to Malta with Air Malta. The flight was already delayed for 1 hour and I was really fed up waiting, the others as well. Finally, the plane departed and after 2 ½ hours we reached the island. Then on through customs with my friend and to a waiting taxi driver with the keys to our rented flat in San Gwann, a town near St. Julians.
The next day – just recovering from the journey and beginning to learn how things work over here, it didn't take a very long to get used to everything. The supermarket is just around the corner as well as other useful shops. So this day was spent shopping for necessities and exploring the area around my workplace in Sliema – a modern and vibrant city with lots of shopping possibilities, restaurants, hotels and the harbour where the ferry to Valletta, the capital of Malta, leaves.

Then my first day at inlingua – 3rd August: I remember that it was a very busy day, as it was Monday and the new students arrived. Anyway I was very excited and also a bit nervous, but it’s normal I guess. While getting introduced to everyone, I noticed the kindness of the staff. Everyone is very friendly and easy-going… I really like the cheerful mentality of the Maltese people. They are very welcoming.
Well, when I take a look back now to my first 9 weeks here I am really satisfied, as at work everything is going very well and I enjoy being out with my friends at the weekends. Furthermore I really like Malta. Why did I come here? ... For sure I want to improve my language skills and I chose Malta because it was recommended to me by teachers and former students from my school in Germany for its interesting culture, the wonderful weather and the beautiful countryside. And inlingua school has also fulfilled my expectations so far…

No comments: